MDAO for Conceptual Aircraft Design at Northrop GrummanRegister »
Thursday, October 22, 2015 | 02.00 pm Eastern
Presenter: David McCormick, MDAO IPT Lead, Aerospace Systems, Northrop Grumman
MDAO for conceptual aircraft design at NGC is being embraced fully via ModelCenter. Through a multi-year internal project focused on incorporating automated methods into the process, significant progress has been made in refining the end-to-end modeling process from construction to results analysis. This process in progress has been used on several CRAD’s, and more recently on several active aircraft programs.
The primary issues as seen by NGC and has been the focus of the project are primarily related to how people interact with the ModelCenter environment rather than specific techniques within the environment itself. Issues that we have tackled (and continue to tackle) that will be discussed include speeding up setup time through parallel development, reducing the system-level N^2 operator’s workload, maintaining traceability, continuous model verification and minimizing code maintenance.
In summary, we are seeing great progress in reducing the cycle time from problem statement to results generation when compared to earlier applications of ModelCenter and NGC. In our experience, reducing this initial setup wait time is critical to internal customer satisfaction and is something we credit with increased adoption around the company.
- Optimizing Constructability to Reduce Wind Energy Cost
- Rocket Science in the Fast Lane: Optimizing a New Upper Stage Rocket Engine in Six Weeks
- Simulation Workflow Automation Combined with Data Capture
- Reduce Risk and Cost with ReliabilityPak
- JPL Develops MBSE Tools to Perform Business Case Analysis for DARPA's F6 Program
- Spaceworks Engineering Optimizes Aerodynamic Shape for an Air-Dropped Launch Vehicle with PHX ModelCenter