The Role of Multi-domain Dynamic Models for Functional Verification in Model-based Systems Engineering
Thursday, June 2, 2016 | 2:00 pm Eastern
Presenters: Paul Goossens, Vice President, Engineering Solutions, Maplesoft
Andy Ko, Ph.D., Manager of Engineering Services, Phoenix Integration
Much has been made of the power of Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE) as a formal method for capturing and managing design requirements for complex engineering systems. But what does MBSE really mean for the engineering design organization? Whenever a proponent of MBSE speaks with a mechanical or electrical design engineer on the topic, they are likely speaking different languages. Even the phrase “systems engineering” can have very different meanings!
It’s this disconnect that can make the difference between a successful outcome and a project not even getting off the ground.
This webinar seeks to demystify some of the key aspects of MBSE, and show how the methodology can bring major advantages to the engineering design process. This will be illustrated with an investigation into how a change in the specified operating conditions for an electric vehicle affects battery requirements. By combining the battery’s design requirements in SysML, with cross-disciplinary models in MapleSim for functional verification, all within the ModelCenter integration environment from Phoenix Integration, the engineering design team can readily verify a proposed system against its specification long before investing in the prototyping stage. They can validate the effects of the dynamic behaviors, spanning multiple engineering domains, that are likely to be overlooked in the early stages. Furthermore, design-space investigations - from “what-if” trade studies to rigorous parameter optimizations – can be easily performed on their design to get the best-possible performance.
In this way, the engineering design organization can significantly reduce project risks and costs by minimizing unexpected late-stage design changes.
- System Trade Studies and Design Optimization
- Model Based Systems Engineering: Requirements Development, System Design, Process Integration and Design Optimization for Systems Engineering of Textile Machines
- ModelCenter® and VCollab®: Capture, Organize, and Communicate Your CAE Results
- Optimizing Constructability to Reduce Wind Energy Cost
- Rocket Science in the Fast Lane: Optimizing a New Upper Stage Rocket Engine in Six Weeks
- Simulation Workflow Automation Combined with Data Capture
- Reduce Risk and Cost with ReliabilityPak
- JPL Develops MBSE Tools to Perform Business Case Analysis for DARPA's F6 Program
- Spaceworks Engineering Optimizes Aerodynamic Shape for an Air-Dropped Launch Vehicle with PHX ModelCenter